Saturday, April 03, 2010

A Blog In Parts: This Crazy Thing They Call Boarding

The day we were to head for Coron was the earliest I had ever had to wake up for the entire vacation. I think I set my alarm for 5:00AM so I would have an hour to ignore alarms, attempt to get up and basically fall out of bed. Our boat was set to leave at 7:30AM and we could not afford to miss it. But still, it was so freakin' early! Like Ebi said, "Even the water isn't up yet.", referring to the super low tide.

Anyway, a quick breakfast at El Nido Boutique & Art Cafe and then we were off to the pier, which was only a couple of meters away. Boarding had started and we were greeted with this sight.

Considering that this was going to be an 8-hour trip in what was basically open sea, the boarding procedure certainly wasn't promoting confidence in the "fast, clean and comfortable" boat. But we had no other choice but to "board" and endure. Doped up on anti-seasickness meds, I enjoyed the first two hours of the trip. Ridin
g the waves, eyes wide open for sea turtle sightings, enjoying the cool breeze. Sitting on the shady side of the boat was also a big plus.

Then the two hours became four, and riding the waves wasn't as much fun anymore.

Four hours became six and the sun started shining on my side of the boat, the heat occasionally interrupted by the splash of seawater against the side of the boat. Everyone was busy trying all sorts of maneuvers to either keep cool or stay dry.

Thirty minutes away from shore, one of the boatmen saw me struggling to hold up a lifevest to shield myself from the sun's rays. He came closer and ever so casually said, "Ma'am, you can put up this window if you like."

*stare*

Thank you sooooooo much! That tidibit would have been useful like, I don't know, two hours ago?!

Anyway, after 8 hours, we set foot on dry land unscathed and a little worse for wear. Everyone else was tired and just bummed around the hotel (which didn't really look like a real hotel but they were calling it a hotel anyway), but three of us were just crazy enough to trek 600 meters up a mountain in the dead of night to search for tupperware.

Ebi and Marco are into this whole geocaching thing and apparently, there was one in Coron on Mt. Tapyas. And you know how I'm always a fan of crazy ventures so I was totally interested in what was inside this plastic box we were supposed to find. Armed with nothing but flashlights of varying intensities, GPS coordinates and mind-blowing optimism, we climbed the seemingly never-ending stairs of Mt. Tapyas. And will you just check out the view.


Anyway, we didn't find the cache. Marco was trying to steer clear of snakes, I was avoiding ants and Ebi was practically climbing trees to find the cache but after going in circles for the umpteenth time, we gave up and just headed back to the hotel.

Maybe it was the harrowing boat trip from El Nido but most of us just weren't in the mood for island hopping on our second day in Coron. So while I stayed behind at the hotel, reading and blogging like the nerdorkus that I am, everybody else rented motorcycles and tore through the city streets like madmen. Well, for all of an hour before several bikes broke down. It was probably a good thing then that I didn't go with them because for all that I know about repairing deep lacerated wounds and resuscitating hearts that stop beating, I wouldn't know what to do if the chains of a motorcycle fell off.

The rest of the party left for Manila on March 30, with only Karsten, Dennise & I left behind in Coron. We had 2 days left to kill and we spent the last island hopping with Meike and Rich, who arrived after a godforsaken 9-hour trip on the Jessabel. Apparently, our boat ride was nothing compared to the horror that Rich and Meike faced. Huge waves crashing against the side of the boat, Rich puking his guts out, boatmen hammering rusty nails in the engine bay... but nonetheless, they arrived safe and cursing. ^_^

Back to the island hopping.

There really weren't that many places to go to that catered to non-divers but still, Coron had a lot to offer, snorkeling-wise. I think that the best snorkeling experience would have to be at Siete Pecados. I don't know how those islets got the name, save for the fact that the fish there were just sinfully beautiful. I was surrounded by different species of sea creatures and found myself practically squealing in delight underwater.

We also went to Kayangan Lake, which is apparently the cleanest lake in the country. What makes this lake so special is the school of fish (whose species I cannot identify, nor will I try to) with special feeding abilities.

The ability to consume Rich and Karsten's spit in a matter of seconds. If this groove catches on, the Coron residents may have to put up a sign saying "Please Don't Spit On The Fish For The Love Of God."

Anyway, I think I had the most fun at the Twin Lagoons as evidenced by this video link. Hear me laugh like a loon. You can't hear him over my insane hyena laughter but Rich was yelling, "Far, get up and take a picture. FAR! GET UP AND TAKE A PICTURE!"

Hm.. Somehow that sounded funnier in my head. >_>

As was the case in the El Nido lagoons, we neglected to rent kayaks but in the Twin Lagoons, we found a bamboo raft. We had no oars but who needs oars when you have fins!

On April Fool's Day, which incidentally was also Maundy Thursday, Dennise, Karsten & I headed home to Cagayan de Oro. Dinner at Dennise's house in Biasong signalled the end of The Vacation.

Well, not quite.

No comments: