Monday, April 05, 2010

A Blog In Parts: The Art of Letting Go


I'm not the type of person who loses things, not things that matter anyway. Even that attempted robbery back in med school proved to be fruitless for the robber. He didn't get my wallet but I did end up lying flat on my back on a busy street in the rain. But that's another story.


Anyway, my point is, I haven't experienced any real loss, at least not enough to leave deep emotional scars. Which is why I have problems dealing with being left behind. So when it was nearing the end of the Palawan trip, I just gave in to the impulse and went ahead and simply extended my vacation.

Well, it wasn't as simple as that. First, I had to find a reliever for April 3 since I was supposed to be on duty that day. Second, I had to book flights to Cebu. Third, I had to make room reservations so I wouldn't have to sleep on the street.

The first task took quite a while. Doctors all over Cagayan de Oro were either on duty or on holiday but after 3 hours of frantic phone calls, I finally found someone who would go on duty for me.

The next task seemed easy enough. I could just buy the tickets online but even that gave me a slight headache. I wanted to book the same 2PM flight as Dennise's but that flight was no longer available. I had to choose between the 6AM and the 5PM flight. I didn't want to arrive at the airport alone at night so I opted for the earliest flight and figured I'd have to wait 6 hours until Dennise arrived in Cebu. However, the very next day, Karsten checked his email and found that their 2PM flight was moved to 5PM.

Hm. Lucky me. I get to spend most of Good Friday in Cebu. Alone.

Last thing to take care of. I called Sampaguita Suites at 6:00AM and asked a very sleepy receptionist to reserve a room for me from April 2 to April 4.

There. All bases covered.

The three of us arrived in Cagayan de Oro around six in the afternoon and headed directly to Dennise's house in Biasong for dinner and drinks with Ramon, Nikko and Marisse. I got home at midnight and basically just told my mom, "Hi Mom! I'm home after being gone for almost two weeks but I'm leaving in another 5 hours. Can you please take me to the airport at 5:00AM?"

After packing yet again for this sidetrip, I slept for all of 2 hours before I had to get up and head for the airport.

Our two days in Cebu were spent doing mundane things. Shopping, eating, drinking, talking. Dennise and I didn't even go to Bohol. I spent most of one night chasing after Danie and counting blue lights. Still, that trip was worth it. I got to spend 2 more days in the company of two of my favorite girls instead of being stuck at work, wondering what they were doing.

I'm not usually given to tears but at the departure area at Mactan International Airport, I was trying not to sob.

Now, just a little over a week since they left, I'm still missing them. I think I've pestered Dennise over Skype, Facebook and even on her mobile phone every single day. Whatchadoin? Are you done vacuuming? Where exactly in the house are you? Are you awake yet?

Anyway, I think I'm dealing pretty well now. The chat nights have been helping. Especially now that the 3 of us (Marisse, Julette and I) have plans to visit next year. ^_^

GWNN in Karlsruhe, April 2011! Woot!

No comments: