Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sports Medicine and Magical Sprays

I was lazily browsing through online articles (because it's a Sunday and beach plans were cancelled because I also have lazy ass friends) when I came across this one about a magic elixir that team doctors for football players use for, well, practically every "yayay" known to athletes. Yeah, I've seen it used but I always thought it was some sort of anesthetic but no.. It's a skin refrigerant. (Really, you learn something new everyday. I didn't even know skin could be refrigerated.)

Skin refrigerants provide a brief spell of anesthesia which can, at times, be enough to reduce the stinging pain of something like stud marks on an ankle or, at least,make the player think that it's helping. And while they certainly won't cure something more serious like, say, torn knee ligaments or a shotgun blast to the chest, that momentary relief can be all it takes to get a player back up and in the game.

Now I wonder if we can get some of that in the ER for patients who feign illness..

"Doctor, my head hurts. Well, not my entire head but just this 1-inch area around my left eyebrow. I don't think I can go to work. Can you give me a medical certificate?"

"Right around the left eyebrow, you say? Don't worry ma'am. We have just the thing for your very specific condition. Nurse! Can you please hand me our magical spray?"

*grin* If only...

P.S.
Shotgun blast to the chest. Hihihi..

No comments: